Each and every website could always use a little more SEO. It is the way to secure a good spot in search engines through high rankings. SEO is comprised of two main categories, on page and off page which are broken down into many sub categories. When using the write formula for each it will complete your page and get you to where you want to be listed in google.
On Page (Content)SEO:
- Title Tags- These are located in the code of each page of the website and displayed at the top portion of the browser window. The first 70 characters are crucial, as this is what will get indexed in the search engines. Having title tags with proper keywords that relate to the content on the page is crucial to the success of your website's SEO.
- Meta Data- Electronically archived data in simple terms. Descriptions are not extremely important. They may be left blank and if everything else is done correctly google will choose material off your page that best describes its entirety. It is displayed as a small paragraph under the link for your website when it appears on google.
- Proper Directory Structure- Make sure that all of the content is placed under the correct categories and placed in the proper folders or under the right tabs in order to keep organization. Doing so will not only help your on page SEO but make it much easier for users.
- SEO Friendly URLS/ Page Names- It may be beneficial to include your company name in the URL if it is well known. The URL along with the title tags tell google and users what your page is all about. So it is important to select these things wisely.
- Table-less Design- It's all in the code, using a table is a structured format that involves a lot more code which may outweigh text that goes into the content. In the text to code ratio, the more text and less code is ideal. Instead of using a table there is another format called cascading style sheets (CSS) which takes the burden off of html and enables a leaner process. It is the design and physical appearance of the website using less code. Also, it is much more efficient in gaining SEO because it makes a good use of the text to code ratio. An example of table less design is this website which was created using CSS when looking at it, realize that CSS is what makes the boxes the size they are, the background the color it is and etc.
- Utilization of Semantically Related Keywords- Allows search engines to find keyword phrases that appear along with the base keyword. For example on a website that uses online payment solutions as a keyword to go along with it the semantic keywords would be credit cards and debit. The more semantic keywords used the more SEO is enhanced.
- Internal Link Building- Highly effective in improving SEO, links within your page. A good example is using a glossary for your website with all important terms and keywords and then linking from one term to the next. The more links you have within and around your site the more successful it will be at getting indexed into search engines.
Off Page SEO:
- Link Building- Essentially, it is the number and quality of incoming links that are focusing on your site. This may determine your sites ranking and it is easy to make many links back to your site through: blog articles and comments, press releases, directories, social networking websites, themed based websites, website partners and bookmarking websites. All are very beneficial for search engines and users. Users may stay within a topic of interest and gather information through your link building techniques.
- Anchor Text- Great for increasing raking for a particular term, the name used for the link gives weight to the keywords. Placement is also important, with the proper anchor text the higher up on the page it is the more recognition it will receive. When using keywords to link back to your website make sure they are highly relevant and correlate well.
To find out more information about the basics of SEO and how websites are ranked, look at our NJ SEO services.